Monday, September 24, 2007

Autumn

Okay let's play catch-up before things get really nuts.

Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

Just a stunning album. I'll admit, I never really understood Animal Collective. I liked them, but never loved them. This is their first truly pop record (at least pop for Animal Collective), and it works amazingly well. Avey Tare (the loud one) stands out more than Panda Bear (the sweet one) here, but it's not as abrasively as in the past. "For Reverend Green," what with all its screaming, still works as a powerful song. Still Panda Bear's "Chores" is just adorable, even with its dizzying sound. This album reminds me a lot of the Fiery Furnaces' Bitter Tea. Loud and disorienting, but powerful at the same time. Definitely one of this year's best releases.

Broken Social Scene Presents: Kevin Drew - Spirit If...

Okay, so it's actually a Kevin Drew solo album, but with a bunch of Broken Social Scene alum backing him up. It's funny, I'm not a fan of him tagging Broken Social Scene along with him here on the album title, but it's very accurate. It does just sound like a Kevin Drew-led Broken Social Scene album. It's not nearly as good as a BSS album, but it works. It's great filler leading up to another BSS album, whenever the hell that might be. It's inconsistancies help it along. It's soft, then it's loud, then soft again.... sometimes all in the same song. It's also very cocky, but that's why I love Broken Social Scene.
So when I say things are getting nuts, that referencing this autumn's killer release schedule. It starts tomorrow with new albums from both Iron & Wine and Stars to close out September. Then check out October's schedule:
Oct. 9: Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
Oct. 9: Fiery Furnaces - Widow City
Oct. 9: Jens Lekmen - Night Falls Over Kortedala
Oct. 9: Robert Pollard - Coast to Coast Carpet of Love
Oct. 9: Robert Pollard - Standard Gargoyle Decisions
Oct. 16: Jimmy Eat World - Chase the Light
Oct. 23: Phosphorescent - Pride
Whew!! I guess if I have to pick and choose, I'll have to pass up at first both Robert Pollards (it's not like there aren't enough of those) and Jimmy Eat World (I was very disappointed with their last release). At least I can save up some money in November because I only see Sigur Rós on the schedule. I'm going to be a hermit all autumn.
|