Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Huxley

This is my beautiful cat Huxley.


Huxley's a special kitty. I've never met a cat so willing to play at the drop of a hat. She's a happy cat. Always wanting to be happy and make others happy.



Huxley's a tough kitty too. She's battled infections, a serious wound on her foot, and seizures. She's always beaten it. However, it was the disease she was born with that she could never beat.

Huxley died this evening. Her leukemia she was born with finally became too much to overcome. She was young, only six-years-old, but that's pretty old for a cat with leukemia. Huxley was an indoor kitty, but is now in a soon-to-be beautiful new garden. She finally able to be outdoors with the birds and blowing leaves she loved watching all day.



I remember first seeing Huxley. My mother picked her out from the pound as a gift for me. Huxley was very tiny, barely over a month old. She literally could sit in my hand. She was kind of a runt even all grown up, but I've never met a cat with as much personality as Huxley.

I'll miss so much about her. I loved the ways she slept. She could curl up into a basket much too small for her and somehow stay comfortable.


I'll miss the way she would lay on her back and show how happy and content she was with a big smile. Her "cocoon" pose, I'd call it.


Most of all, I'll miss the constant companionship Huxley gave me. She was always at the door to greet me when I came home. After work she would jump up on my lap and rub my chin with her face for what seemed to be forever..... always excited to just be near somebody that loved her back. Everybody loved her back too. I know countless people that say they're not "cat people" but love Huxley. She was something special.
Huxley was always a handful. She had more energy than I did, always. She could be destructive at times. She'd always find strange places to hide, usually somewhere just barely within her reach and way out of my reach. But for any headache she gave me, it was always worth it. She gave me much more than I could have ever given her.
When I first learned she had leukemia, I knew I'd have to prepare for this day. It's not easy though. That day, I decided to do everything I could to make her life the best any kitty could get. I think I did a pretty good job. She was happy and personable to the very end. I'm glad I could give her an ounce back for everything she gave me. Huxley was my kitty. My only kitty. And I loved her the best I could.
I love you Huxley. I always will. You made me happy to the very end and I will always be happy thinking about you. Thank you for everything you gave me. I'll miss you very much, and I will always love you.
|