Friday, August 24, 2007

Oak Island

I had a great weekend in Oak Island, North Carolina. We had a rented house. Here's the back of the house:

Pretty cool. Now turn around and this was the view:

Freaking awesome.

I basically spent three straight days in the ocean. Now remember, I'm from the Midwest. Therefore I don't have much experience with swimming in the ocean. It showed too. Within thirty minutes of arriving, I seriously sprained my ankle on a sand bar. I'd never heard of a sand bar!

Luckily there weren't many people around to exploit my embarrassment. This is basically as busy as the beach got:

It was a killer beach, and practically empty too.

By the end of the weekend, I started to get used to riding the waves without severe injury. I left with many injuries and a nasty sunburn on my back. Still this vacation was one of the best I've ever had.

Looking back, we really didn't do anything but sit around in the sand, swim, eat, and drink. However, that's all we needed to have a great time. The only non-beachy thing we did was complete a puzzle:

Seriously, that was an amazing vacation. Like nothing I'd ever done before. I miss it though, and I can't wait to go back someday.
|