Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

Huge release for me today. One of my favorite bands, Spoon, released Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga.

This is one of those few releases that actually gets me out of bed early on my weekend. That way I can get to the store early enough to spend the whole day listening to it. Unfortunately I had a ton of errands to run in the process (well actually, since it's payday, that's not a bad thing). Still I made sure to go to the record store first so I could listen to it while I drove around. And I did. And I love this freaking album.
This might be Spoon's strongest album yet. I was immediately happy to hear a bit more Kill the Moonlight sound leaking through (that's my favorite Spoon album). More than their last album, Gimme Fiction, at least. As much as I loved Gimme Fiction, I guess I was a little disappointed compared to Kill the Moonlight. This latest album, however, sounds like a mix of the two albums. Plenty of piano, crumpled guitar sounds, and just sexiness all around. This band is just so freaking cool. It's the sound of David Bowie, if he was from Austin.
You must buy this album. Get it quickly too so you can pick up the bonus disc, Get Nice! It's quite different from Gimme Fiction's bonus disc. This one flows more like an extra album, coming in and out of tune. It's almost like walking down a street and a different version of Spoon is rehearsing in every building you walk past. Okay, so these songs are kind of throw-aways, but it still has twelve extra songs..... that's two more than the album itself. Also go to your local indie store to get the bonus 7'.
After just one listen, I can easily say Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is rushing right near the top of my favorite releases of the year. As great as Spoon is at their craft, they have definitely perfected their sound with this release. It's just perfect. Perfect length and no snoozers. It's just flat-out an incredible release.
|