Friday, February 24, 2006

One Month Since

Exactly one month since my last post. Just passing a note that I am alive and well and loving life in Richmond still. Plus I'm home sick from work and don't have anything else to do. I've kept myself very busy, but nothing worth posting about. Just eating, drinking, and watching hockey (GO SWEDEN!!).

There have been a few music releases of notice this year, but I've only had the money to pick up four. I'll discuss in chronological order:


The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth

Maybe this album has been getting some bad press, but I love it. It's not their best, but I don't compare this album to their earlier work. I compare it to Weezer. Don't quite know why. When I first bought it, Weezer was the only thing I could think of as I listened. Maybe it's all the crunchy stuff. "Juicebox" is like "Hash Pipe." The bouncy stuff like "Razorblade" reminds me of "Photograph." When I compare this album to anything Weezer has released lately, I can't help but love it. Plus "Ize of the World" is a hell of a song. Stupid title, but great song. Weezer's best release since the green album.

Grade: B


Robert Pollard - From a Compound Eye

I kept hearing about this as being Robert Pollard's masterpiece. I won't quite go that far, but it is a hell of a release. Basically Bob conjures up the sounds of his best releases. It has elements from his lo-fi DIY stuff like Bee Thousand, the semi-prog-rock sounds of Mag Earwig!, and the slips of emotion from Isolation Drills.

Grade: B+


Belle & Bebastian - The Life Pursuit

Fantastic stuff here. Much better than Dear Catastrophe Waitress, not that it was bad. However, they've found a way to sound less lo-fi and still sound great too. That was something they struggled with on DCW. Still no If You're Feeling Sinister, but I can't expect something that good on everything.

Grade: B+


Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

I didn't want to fall into any hype here. I always do with these once-a-year British bands. Two years ago it was Franz Ferdinand. Last year it was Bloc Party. Nothing wrong with those bands, but I always pick up their stuff then don't listen to it much. I didn't want this album. However, then I saw the video to "When the Sun Goes Down" I was floored. This is some good stuff here. Think the Clash meets the Stone Roses meets the Living End. I love love LOVE some good snotty-ass Brit-punk.

Grade: B+

-----

That's all I've picked up so far. I know I'm missing out of some Cat Power, Jenny Lewis, and Bonnie "Prince" Billy, but I'll get that stuff later.

Looking forward to:
March 21: Loose Fur - Born Again in the USA
April 4: Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics
April 11: Calexico - Garden Ruin
April 18: Fiery Furnaces - Bitter Tea
|