Sunday, December 11, 2005

Hunting Accidents

Currently in between shifts at work (three shifts in one day, 4am-11pm). I just thought I should mention this:

I finally finished up the Guided By Voices book last night. It was great. Very non-linear for a biography, but great nonetheless. It was a great explanation of an enigma-like band for me. However one thing took me out of it.

Two pages from the last is the story of how Bob met his current girlfriend "in Columbia, Missouri, at a venue called Mississippi Nights." Now any good Missouri boy like myself would notice, Mississippi Nights in actually in St. Louis. To most this error would not take much out of the experience of this book. However, to me, it damn near ruined it. It just sucks that it was on page 212 out of 215. Oh well, still a good book.

By the way, I'm not as good a GBV fan as I seem. I've never seen GBV live. Terrible, I know. I've had a million chances because they played Columbia all the time. To make things worse, I actually bought a ticket to a GBV show at the Blue Note.

Josh and I went to Columbia and got our tickets the day of the show. We were so relieved that we actually got tickets. I asked what time doors open and nobody there seemed to know or care, which was odd. We then went to Streetside Records to kill some time before the show. On the way out, I saw a poster for the GBV show and noticed the date, March 8 2004. I looked at my watch and saw March 1. Yeah we were a week early.

I could've gone back a week later, but I was in a plane from Seattle to Kansas City all day. When I got home I had enough time to head down to Columbia, but I was exhausted. A year later, GBV broke up and I never saw them. I've done a lot of bad things in my life, but I'll never forgive myself for never seeing GBV.
|