Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Sunk

Got the call for jury duty again this morning. I was not a happy camper to hear that. Matt at work is on jury duty this month too, but he's yet to be called. I've been called in twice. No fair.

I had already planned on getting quite drunk last night with some friends, and no jury duty was going to stop me.... and I got very drunk. Really only had a couple of hours of sleep when I got up.

Sleepy, hungover, angry..... not a good juror. Thankfully the case I was assigned to got settled before we entered the courtroom. I was out of there at 10:30.

Now on to the rest of today's excitement. Today is the release day for Modest Mouse's new album, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank.


Before today I had heard the first single "Dashboard" about a hundred times. I kept analyzing it over and over again. I love the song, but man it really doesn't sound like Modest Mouse. Sure Good News for People Who Love Bad News didn't sound very Modest Mousey, but it was still a nice album. I was a little more skeptical of this new one though.

I was definitely expecting a bunch of lousy backlash from my snobby indie review sites I frequent. However, I think everything I had read about the album was overwhelmingly positive. That's good because the album is quite good.

I'm not sure I like it as much as Good News..., but I still like it. It's a little weird to hear Isaac singing over such a slick sound. The music is very nice, but it sounds so professional for this band. Still Isaac maintains his rapid fire screaming raps throughout. That's something that I hope never changes. Plus how can you not love a man that recruited Johnny Marr to join your band.

It's very nice to hear a great indie band like this popularize their sound and still sound fantastic. Death Cab, I'm looking in your direction.
|