Friday, March 17, 2006

Mars Hill

Speaking of crappy reasons to currently be an Iowan....


Mars Hill Church burned down last week. Mars Hill Church is located basically in the middle of nowhere, near Floris, Iowa. It was Iowa's oldest still-standing church.
The church is also located almost right next door to my uncle's farm. I spent a lot of time in this area growing up.

It's been a little over a year since I've been there, but I remember it all very vividly. So eerily quiet. It's one of those places you really get a feel that you are truly in the middle of nowhere.

It was also a place of many of my fears as a child. The church has had a pretty seedy past, all of which is pretty common knowledge to those that know of its existence. It really is a pretty creepy area, but it's beautiful and quiet.

I know Amanda can vouch for this as well, but anybody that has spent any time in this area has their fair share of creepy tales. I've heard plenty of stories of weird creatures in the nearby woods, red lights stalking people at night, gunshot sounds in the night, voices and crying coming from the trees. Strange stuff.

When I heard about the fire, I was really hoping that it was of natural cause. Knowing the history of the place, however, I knew that it had to have been arson. It's a shame. I'll miss the place.
|