Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Big Day Coming, 'Bout a Mile Away

Today was a nice big fat day for good music releases featuring:

Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - Jacksonville City Nights
Big Star - In Space
Supergrass - Road to Rouen
Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

I had all kinds of errands today so I headed to Plan 9 nice and early to shop, then it was off to the DMV. I guess I was most excited about the new Big Star. First in thirty years, come on! The less-than-flattering Pitchfork review has only slightly lessened my excitement.

As I drove around I listened to the new Wolf Parade. I'm almost done with it now. It seems like when any new indie band that gets any hype comes around, there is a formula. Have a singer with a wavering voice, mix in some rustic keys and some clangy guitars, and voila you are heralded as indie gods. Hey it worked for the Arcade Fire. Wolf Parade is no different. It also doesn't hurt that Isaac Brock produced it. Don't get me wrong, it's great stuff. I really like it. It just seems like it'll be very easy to start an indie band with this formula and get some instant cred. My only problem with Wolf Parade is that their name is too close to fellow "indie gods" the noise-band Wolf Eyes. Small complaint. More reviews coming.
|