Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunless Shortlist: Songs 2008

Here are my favorite songs of 2008. I was going to post these as a mixtape, but it's kind of a weird mix. Or maybe I'm just lazy. Anyhoo...

American Music Club - "I Know That’s Not Really You"
Surprisingly a disappointing album by one of my favorite bands. This song, however, would stand out on even their best albums.

Animal Collective - "Water Curses"
AC followed up a huge 2007 with a quiet 2008. They did find time to put out a nice little EP highlighted by this title track.

Beck - "Gamma Ray"
The ‘60’s hipster sound Beck and Danger Mouse strived for on this album is perfectly on display with this song.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - "We Call Upon the Author"

Viscious song. Nick Cave writes like nobody else.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters - "American Gangster Time"

EC’s best era is the This Years Model/Armed Forces/Get Happy! era. This song is his throwback to that era. Perfectly executed too. Not just for cheap applause.

Department of Eagles - "No One Does It Like You"
One of the year’s most exciting songs. The sound I love now is all right here.

Destroyer - "Dark Leaves Form a Thread"
Dan Bejar’s rowdy side is wonderful to hear, isn’t it?

DeVotchKa - "The Clockwise Witness"
This band is just so close to greatness. So close.

James - "Whiteboy"
“My ma says I look like Yul Brenner. Too old for Hamlet, too young for Lear.”

Mountain Goats - "How to Embrace a Swamp Creature"
Heretic Pride to me sounds a less like an album and more like a great collection of songs. This song just happens to be the best of them.

Okkervil River - "Lost Coastlines"
This song is exactly why Okkervil River is one of the most exciting bands in world.

Sigur Ros - "Gobbledigook"
Hippy drum circle? Doesn’t sound like something I’d enjoy, but song is perfect.

Silver Jews - "What is Not But Could Be If"
Certainly not one of David Berman’s most lyrically complex songs, but he is so good an setting the mood.

Walkmen - "On the Water"
Everybody’s freaking out about “In the New Year,” but this is my favorite Walkmen song of the year.

Wolf Parade - "Soldier's Grin"
Dan Boeckner described himself as the member of Wolf Parade that nobody likes. Whatver, dude. I love your songs so much!
|