Thursday, June 01, 2006

Sleepyhead

I can't sleep tonight. I was close to nodding off, but then I heard a distant gunshot that jolted me awake (gotta love Richmond south of the James). I finally got fed up and got up, took a shower, and fixed up a big pot of coffee. I've only got a little more than an hour before work, so I may as well stay up. This is not good because I have a ten hour day today and don't get a day off for eleven more days. Oh well.

Since there hasn't been a good music release in a while, I've gone back and listened to the backburner stuff from this year. Right now, I've rediscovered Belle & Sebastian's latest, The Life Pursuit, and I think it may be the best release of the year so far.



I liked it when I first picked it up in February, but it quickly got lost in the fold. I know I was looking forward to it, but I had been listening to a lot of their earlier stuff at that time. I guess that's what I was expecting from this release, even thought I should've known they're past that.

When I went back to listen to it again, I listened to it more lyrically than musically and am now very satisfied. I guess I didn't notice how strong it was before. Here, just read the lyrics to "Sukie in the Graveyard." Compare that to the lyrics of the much older "Me and the Major." I guess not as much has changed as I had thought.

I've really come to re-appreciate songs like "Song for Sunshine" and "For the Price of a Cup of Tea." More than anything, "Funny Little Frog" may be the song of the year. I'm very satisfied now.
|