Saturday, May 19, 2007

Sky Blue Sky

Okay here it is. I'm finally getting around to talking about the new Wilco album, Sky Blue Sky. I've listened to it many times this week and think I can finally come up with an ideal review.

Okay first of all, if you have been reading any other reviews you have likely noticed a rather surprised reaction. It's definitely true that this album is not very typical for a Wilco album. However, there has never really been a typical Wilco album. (You know what I mean.) Every single one of their albums sound very different. I don't really care about negative reviews, but it does bother me when reviewers expect a band to become formulaic. This is very evident with Pitchfork's confused review. Wilco has never been very formulaic, but that's what fun about the band.

I will admit, I may not like this album as much as Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or A Ghost is Born or even Being There, however there is something so pleasant and comforting about this album. Wilco's last two albums were extremely complex. At first listen Sky Blue Sky seems like a very simple listen. However, the more you listen to it, the more you will notice the subtle complexities that made Being There so remarkable. The complexity isn't as in-your-face as their last two albums.

The sound is so rustic here. I read the review in Entertainment Weekly that really cracked me up at first. It mentions Tweedy's voice as Don Henley-esque. As I listen to the album more, I can definitely hear what they mean. However, when they say it's the best album the Eagles never released, well that's just not true. It's hard to compare this album to anything but Wilco.

This album isn't a step backwards for them, and it's not a huge step forward either. It is just what it is. It's just a Wilco album. Enjoy it for what it is.

Plus it's got probably the most beautiful album cover I've ever seen:

So there you go.
|