Saturday, October 21, 2006

All In One

Been very bad about posting my new purchases, really bad. But I've been busy, so lay off. I'll briefly catch you up, really briefly. Game 1 is about to start.

Oh Islands put on a great show in Charlottesville last Saturday. Sounded great, crowd totally into it. The first band, Sister Suvi, however really sucked. They were horrible. At least So Called came out to save the day with his Yiddish hip-hop. Yeah it's been done before, but still sounded great.

Bonne 'Prince' Billy - The Letting Go

Wow, damn fine album from old Will. Much more grandiose than most Bonnie albums, and it really works and it's hard not to divert all attention to the sound. "Cursed Sleep," "Lay and Love," and "The Seedling" are the best examples of this. Best Bonnie album since I See a Darkness.

Decemberists - The Crane Wife

Okay, I'd been meaning to post just about this album, but haven't had the time, or whatever. I'd been broke for a little while now because I got hammered with bills recently (out of the red as of Wednesday, however). I picked up this album for $10 in the middle of this to keep me interested on a trip to western Virginia a few weeks ago. It's kept me interested since. It's so wonderful, just so wonderful. Best Decemberist album yet. Actually might be the year's best album. Yeah. This is the kind of album that shouldn't be purchased, but rather issued. Maybe I should get more detailed after that kind of statement, but just go get it and enjoy it yourself.

Portastatic - Be Still Please

I picked up the new Portastatic album Tuesday before heading to Charlottesville to see them. Great album. Might be the best Portastatic yet. It's almost a mix between Mac's older power-pop leanings with his folkier solo stuff. "Sour Shores," "I'm in Love (with Arthur Dove)," and "You Blanks" really should be heard by all.

Oh and for the Portastatic show itself....I'll get to that in the next couple of days. Can't talk now. Game 1 coming on. Go Cards!!
|