Sunday, June 28, 2009

Missouri / Iowa

Spent last weekend back in Missouri. It'd been over two years since I'd been back home. Thought it'd be weird, but it was all fun.

Kirksville looked pretty good for the most part. We went touring past some of the buildings damaged by last month's tornado. That was pretty insane.

I've seen plenty of buildings damaged by tornados before, but seeing it in Kirksville made it more surreal to me. The majority of the damage is in a really nice neighborhood too. Pretty sad stuff.

The wedding itself was great. It was very nicely put together. The most worrisome part of everything was the rain. It had rained everyday I was there, and another line of storms was coming through at wedding time. We kept checking Zane's Blackberry and trying to stay positive, even though everything pointed towards disaster. Outdoor wedding.

Two small things got cut from the ceremony (a reading, or blessing, or whatever) to try to move things along. As we went outside to start the line on the radar was right on top of Kirksville. There were quite a few rumbles of thunder, and maybe a sprinkle or two, but it stayed dry. Afterwards everybody rushed to their cars when it suddenly really began to pour. Good timing.

Anyways, what else?

I think we did about everything we set out to do on our own. Visited KTVO. Ate a ridiculously unhealthy meal at the Shitty.

Delicious.

Went to Columbia. While touring Mizzou we happened to notice a gate open at Faurot Field. Not sure if it was exactly the right thing to do, but what the hell...

Also ate waaaay too much hummus at the International Cafe and picked a new Cardinals hat while in Columbia.

We spent a whole day on a whirlwind tour of Iowa.

Eldon looked great. Saw the Gothic House.

Yeah, that house. My parents bought a lot about couple of blocks away. They're going to build a house for when they retire.

Also went to Fairfield.

It'd been a long time since I'd been to Fairfield. It was much nicer than I had remembered it. I'd always known it to be just another cookie-cutter Midwestern town, but it was much more well put together than I'd ever noticed.

The Maharishi have a lot to do with that.

Vedic City was great. I'd only kind of been there. Not really toured it very extensively. I loved it though.

The houses were mostly nice.

Everybody was smiling and waving, even though we were invading their little commune. They were all blissed out and shit. It was nice...
...it was really nice. Like the way I wish I could be. Just all happy and thoughtful and worry-free. Like they only think about how to live...
...it was great...
...maybe I could...
...ah, probably not.
Anyhoo. Been back in Richmond since Monday night. Jonathan and wife were in town this weekend. The state of Virginia declared yesterday a celebration for his grandfather. So that was pretty sweet. It's been nice lately.
|