Saturday, June 04, 2005

The Sunless Suitcase All-Star Ballot

American League
1B-Mark Teixeira (Texas)
I love this young core of Ranger infielders. That sucks for ex-Missouri Tiger Ian Kinsler who is tearing up the minor leagues. Teixeira, Soriano, Young, and Blalock are all studs. Teixeira is the one that really stands out to me. He's having a great year. .300 BA, 13 HR, 41 RBI, and a .905 OPS(!!!).

2B-Brian Roberts (Baltimore)
Pretty obvious choice here. To think Roberts was platooning 2B in Baltimore with Hairston in Spring Training. It didn't take too long for them to ship off Hairston to Chicago.

SS-Miguel Tejada (Baltimore)
Easily the best hitting shortstop in the American League. No doubt about this pick.

3B-Melvin Mora (Baltimore)
I think ARod is the choice here, but I'll always refuse to vote for him. The guy is a good hitter and not much else. Besides, I'm sure he'll get plenty of votes from other people. I'll pick Mora because he's having a solid year and Baltimore's accomplishments this year need to be refected in the All-Star game.

C-Jason Varitek (Boston)
Might be the best catcher in the majors.

DH-Shea Hillenbrand (Toronto)
Just comparing DH stats, Hillenbrand's name was the only one that stands out. I've always thought of him as a solid player (not spectacular, but good nonetheless), so I've always been surprised that he's bounced around in his short career.

OF-Garret Anderson (LA-Anaheim)
Another solid year for Garret. He's becoming an All-Star mainstay.

OF-Scott Podsednik (Chicago)
Not the first name that stands out on an All-Star ballot, but the guy has twice as many stolen bases as Ichiro. That's an accomplishment in my eyes. I also don't like to just look at homeruns when comparing stats.

OF-Gary Sheffield (New York)
Sheffield is one of those rare players that rejuvenates his career with the Yankees and he's having yet another great year for them. I, like most, hate the Yankees, but I've never really had too much of a problem with Sheffield. I know plenty of people that don't like the guy, but not so much me.

National League
1B-Albert Pujols (St. Louis)
Come on, that's obvious. I have a feeling that this will finally be the year he wins MVP. Isn't it great that I can say "he'll finally be MVP" when he's only 25?! Albert just oozes the game and it's so great I get to watch him play everyday for my favorite team.

2B-Mark Grudzielanek (St. Louis)
I'm not picking him because he's a Cardinal. Being able to watch this guy play everyday is just awesome. He's been incredible in every aspect of his game. He's unreal in the field and is has been on fire at the plate all year. Plus he hit the first Cardinal cycle since Mabry.

SS-Clint Barmes (Colorado)
Easy pick for Rookie of the Year right now. Yeah he plays in Colorado, but almost the whole starting lineup for the Rockies are rookies. Only Barmes is standing out in that crowd.

3B-Troy Glaus (Arizona)
It pains me to not see Rolen in this place, but it makes me so happy to see Glaus come back to have a good year. Plus he works out with my bro every now and again and my sister is good friends with his mom.

C-Ramon Hernandez (San Diego)
This guy is putting together a solid year. Any catcher that hits around .300 is a stud in my eyes.

OF-Bobby Abreu (Philadelphia)
Another great year for Abreu. He's always been a really solid player and it's really cool to see him stand out like he has for the last couple of years.

OF-Jim Edmonds (St. Louis)
Since coming to the National League, he's never been down. It's pretty common to see a hitter come to the NL and struggle (Tino and Griffey anyone?), but Edmonds has never struggled. Should be a mainstay in the NL All-Star starting lineup.

OF-Carlos Lee (Milwaukee)
Milwaukee's been really solid this year and Lee is the biggest reason why. He and Podsednik were swapped in a trade and both make my All-Star ballot. That's a value trade!
|