Thursday, July 20, 2006

Newish

I've been picking up a ton of new albums lately. Really, I need to slow down because I've spent a fortune the last couple of weeks. It's okay though because there are many new albums out that I really wanted. Haven't been disappointed yet by any purchases. I'll briefly sum everything up, but in a couple of different posts. This is part one:

Built to Spill - You in Reverse

Okay, so I never really got into Built to Spill as much as I should've. They were one of those bands that Hedges would shrill about. I should've taken his advice because I haven't been disappointed in five years or whatever (Modest Mouse and Songs: Ohia are a couple of his suggestions). I always figured that Built to Spill was just another post-grunge Seattle band....all crunchy guitars without substance. Well, it is very post-grunge Seattle scene.....very guitar-driven. But I love it. Think Pixies if they were a grunge band.

Islands - Return to the Sea

Alright, this is a great album. One of this year's most hyped albums, but I'm happy to say that it lives up to it. One of the quirkiest releases I've heard this year (along with the new Half-Handed Cloud). However, unlike Half-Handed Cloud, this stuff is pure power pop. Sounds good on the radio type stuff. Killer, I mean KILLER, synth-pop. Two of my favorite songs this year are here ("Rough Gem" and "Where There's a Will There's a Whalebone"). Definitely one of this year's best.

Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche

Probably the most exciting release for me this year. Plus it's an outtakes album.....but outtakes albums are never this good. It's Illinois, pt. 2, more than a bunch of scrambled together demos. It makes sense that none of these tracks didn't make it on the original album. They're different. Not drastically, but it just makes sense. Hard to say it's better than the original, but it's really terrific stuff. I love it.
|