Saturday, October 25, 2008

Ex-Smoker

That's what I am now.

I had my last cigarette on October 13. That's the day Daniel died. I had promised to stop smoking the next day, and I decided to keep that promise.

I haven't done this without help. I'm using the Commit lozenge.

I swear by this stuff too. The last time I seriously tried to quit smoking was in 2001, and I used the patch. It didn't really work. I'm addicted to the habit, not the nicotine. The patch helped with the nicotine intake, but it did absolutely nothing for the habit of just having a cigarette when I can. These lozenges give me something think about when I get the urge.

They taste like butt though.

You get used to it after a while, but the mint only tastes like mint for a few minutes. Then it turns into chalk laced with chili pepper. They burn like hell. That burning travels down your throat and gives you heartburn. I did have one pack of cherry flavored, and it wasn't too bad. The flavor lasts longer than the mint. They also have cappucino flavored, but I'm a little scared to try it.
Surprisingly, quitting hasn't been too bad. I did prepare myself for a week or so before I started. The hardest cigarettes to kick are when I get up and when I drink. I kicked those cigarettes weeks ago. Now I only get tempted when I finish newscasts at work. Even those have been waning lately too. It hasn't been all easy, but I'm very surprised that I haven't struggled too badly. I have an emergency pack (mints, cough drops, vitamin c drops) I keep with me in case I get tempted.
It's been almost two weeks now since I quit, and I'm still holding strong. Don't get me wrong, I do miss smoking. However, I have the motivation now, and I'm telling you, these freaking mints work. Okay Commit, there's an ad. Pay me please.
|