Monday, March 17, 2008

Sunless Shortlist: Best Covers

Okay, here are the best covers I have in my collection. If the worst covers was difficult, this list was damn near impossible. I narrowed down this list from around thirty or so albums. Here goes:


American Music Club - Mercury

Oh so pretty and a perfect setting for this album. I don't know what it is. I assume it's a real location. Pretty cool though, whatever this place is.


Beulah - Yoko

Ah, symmetry. Like a still from a Wes Anderson movie.


Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call

I freaking love this cover. When I was a senior in high school, this picture of Nick Cave is exactly what I wanted to look like. Everybody else says he looks like a heroin addict. Well he was. I didn't care. I wanted to look like Nick Cave.


Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson

Yeah, so dirty. Okay so it's Jane Birkin, and she's 25 here. But the inference is that she's a very young girl. Lolita-ish. Pretty cool.


James - Pleased to Meet You

Looks normal. Upon further inspection, something weird is going on here. After looking at the similarly shot portraits of the band inside for a great long while, I figured it out. I'll let One of the Three explain it.


Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

It look many months of urging from my friends to finally pick this album up. I kept picking it up at the store, but kept resisting. I don't know why. Judging from the cover, I assumed they were more like Spiritulized, or the Suede, or something.... stuff I was totally not into in 2001. Eventually I got it and loved it. Totally didn't expect the sound. It didn't fit the cover, so it kind of became iconic to me.


Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

Crappy album. Great cover. Storm Thorgerson is so cool. More than anything else about it, I love the mystery.


Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.

I was obsessed with all of the pictures on this album for a long time. Even the pictures inside are fascinating and bizarre. Classic stuff.


Spoon - Gimme Fiction

Red Riding Hoods meets the Imperial Guards from The Empire Strikes Back. Yeah, it's all supposed to be a real look at Red Riding Hood, but it always reminds me of the Imperial Guards.


Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
Wilco's album covers just keep getting more and more fascinating. This picture just blows my mind. It's a simple black and white image, with a complicated image. It's the starkness of chaos, or something. Beautiful.
|