Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Avalanche

Now that the new Flaming Lips has been released, there aren't too many more releases that I've been dying for. Tuesday is the new Calexico (pretty cool). The next week is the new Fiery Furnaces (I'll get it). May sees the release of new stuff from Danielson and Grandaddy (I'll get them, if I have the money). June doesn't have anything but a new instrumental soundtrack from Portastatic (eh, still waiting on some new Superchunk).

The only thing I've really been anticipating is the new Golden Smog on July 18, but that's been pretty much ALL I've been excited about.

Then yesterday I saw this to be released on July 25:

I figured Sufjan Stevens would release something this year. I was hoping for something new in his 50 states project. I definitely wasn't expecting a compilation of outtakes from Illinois. I wasn't overly thrilled about it at first, but I've thought about it plenty and I am VERY excited about it. Think about it, twenty-one more songs from last year's best album. Maybe it is milking it, but I don't particularly care. I can't wait.

I've already heard the song "The Avalanche" and it is fantastic. If you haven't heard it, get it here.

Oh and if you need something a little Sufjan to keep you occupied, you really should check out his song "Variation on 'Commemorative Transfiguration & Communion at Magruder Park'" from I Am the Resurrection: A Tribute to John Fahey. I've probably listened to it like a thousand times and I still contend it's one of the best songs I've EVER heard.
|