Thursday, December 31, 2009

Sunless Shuffle (Take a Bow)

New Year's Eve. I have been working evenings all week for the first time in years. Don't know if I'd love to do this full-time, but it's been a great little break. Combine this easy schedule with last week's cakewalk holiday week and it's almost like a vacation without the vacation. It'll suck tonight when I get off of work shortly before midnight. I should get home before 12 for the countdown and champagne. Then it'll be out the door again for party. Party!

I have about an hour before I have to head to work. I am well-rested and ready for one more...

Yeah, one more...

Current track count: 13,938

1. Weezer - "Don't Let Go" (s/t, The Green Album)
Kind of appropriate, I guess.

2. Electric Light Orchestra - "Down Home Town" (Face the Music)
Random memory tied to music. There was a Saturday when we were living in Virginia Beach when we took Molly's car in for an oil change. Then we spent the rest of the afternoon eating at Cheesecake Factory and shopping at Barnes & Noble. Nothing too atypical, but it was very nice and memorable. Perfect cool and cloudy weather. Oh and we were listening to Face the Music the whole time. So there you go.

3. Jim O'Rourke - "Seven Stars" (Tiny Mixtapes Vol. 1: Darfur)
And the abstract section of my collection makes its first appearance. I own too much abstract music.

4. Aimee Mann - "Invisible Ink" (Lost in Space)
Richmond's own Aimee Mann. Well technically Mechanicsville, but close enough. I really didn't care for Lost in Space, especially as a follow-up to the amazing Bachelor No. 2. Maybe I'll go back for another try.

5. Spoon - "Reservations" (A Series of Sneaks)
Great freaking song. New Spoon album coming out in a couple of weeks. Excited!

6. Guided By Voices - "Underwater Explosions" (Under the Bushes Under the Stars)
One of GBV's more under-appreciated albums. This song is the perfect example of why. This mix is transitioning perfectly so far.

7. Electric Light Orchestra - "Strange Magic" (Face the Music)
The hell?? What are the odds of this happening? I have almost 14,000 songs on this iPod and I get two ELO songs from the same album. Weird. Not that I mind because I am currently singing at the top of my lungs.

8. Lou Reed/John Cale - "Trouble With Classicists" (Songs for Drella)
One great forgotten album here. Half of the Velvet Underground's tribute to Andy Warhol. It's amazing. Go get it.

9. Pavement - "No More Kings" (Wowee Zowee: Sordid Sentinels Edition)
This is originally from that Schoolhouse Rock compilation that came out in the mid-'90s. It was a good comp, if I remember correctly. By the way, you hear that Pavement is back together? Who's excited?? Me!!!

10. Bonny 'Prince' Billy - "Wolf Among Wolves" (Master and Everyone)
Just wonderful stuff. Anybody that hasn't listened to BPB really needs to hurry up and do so.

11. Half-Handed Cloud - "You've Been Faithful to Us Clouds" (Halos & Lassos)
I got back into HHC this fall after the release of the massive Cut Me Down & Count My Rings compilation. I highly suggest everybody check it out. It's kinda weird, but constantly charming. It sounds like when somebody is trying to sing the Beach Boys in their head. This is how it'd really sound if those thoughts were out loud.

12. Guided By Voices - "Sons of Apollo" (Half Smiles of the Decomposed)
This is far less of a coincidence than the two ELO songs from earlier. I have quite a few ELO songs on my iPod, but nothing like my GBV collection. So this doesn't surprise me at all.

13. They Might Be Giants - "Rabid Child" (s/t)
Wow. Somehow this works right in. I don't know how, but it does.

14. Electric Light Orchestra - "Night in the City" (Out of the Blue)
All right, seriously. What the hell.

15. Danielson - "Rallying the Dominoes" (Fetch the Compass Kids)
Perfect!! This is the perfect ending to this excellent mix! Twas fun.
|