Thursday, July 01, 2004

Man's Got an Angry Mouth

While I'm at it, Bright Eyes recently released a new split disc with fellow Omahaians (Omahans? Omahaweegans?...People from Omaha.) Neva Dinova called "One Jug of Wine, Two Vessels." By the way, that's a great title for a split disc. I admit I've never really listened to Neva Dinova, but I've heard them described as being like Coldplay but cool. That's not exactly what I would say. They are much more country than Coldplay would ever dream of sounding.

"One Jug of Wine" is good. Not great, but good. It's very different from any other Bright Eyes split because this is less of a split and more of a collaboration. Both Conor and Dinova bounce back and forth and make a nice little collaboration. However, as weird as this sounds, it's easy to get bored during this EP. Sure the first and last songs are great, but they bookend four forgettable tracks.

All-in-all it's a nice effort, but it does not even compare to Bright Eyes' brilliant splits with Son, Ambulance and Britt Daniel. While I'm such an EP kick, I also suggest Bright Eyes' EPs "Every Day and Every Night" and "There is No Beginning to the Story." Also check this site out. It's a goldmine of Bright Eyes rarities and out-of-print EPs. I highly, highly, highly suggest downloading the songs from "Drunk Kid Catholic." Actually I highly suggest all of them. Enjoy!
|